A chapel of ease was built on the site in the early to mid fourteenth century, which was incorporated into a market building that was eventually known as the Town House or Chamber. It was rebuilt in 1689.
The 1698 building was demolished and replaced with a new building designed by John Louth Clemence. Samuel Morton Peto donated stained-glass windows by John Thomas. The existing Council Chamber remains from this version of the Town Hall.
The New Market Inn on Compass Street was built. It was incorporated into the Town Hall in the 1970s, although is not part of the Grade II listing.
Widening of High Street meant much of the previous building was demolished and rebuilt, with only the old Council Chamber retained. The architect was Borough Engineer George Henry Hanby.
The Town Hall extended up by three bays on Compass Street, also designed by Hanby.
The Town Hall extended up to Mariners Street to accommodate a committee room, residential accommodation and offices.
Small extension to the 1914 extension on Mariner Street.
The New Market inn is incorporated into the Town Hall.
The Town Hall becomes a listed building.
Waveney District Council moved out of the Town Hall. It has remained unoccupied since.
Lowestoft Town Council was formed and became the owner of the Town Hall.